[Talk-asia] Talk-Asia -- OpenStreetMap across Asia

Erwin Olario govvin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:34:35 UTC 2018

Fresh from the heels of the successful 2018 State of the Map Asia in
Bangalore, we are pleased to announce a new mailing list: talk-Asia.

We envision for us to have encouraging conversations and discussions
related to OpenStreetMap of common interest and concern across the
communities in the continent of Asia, beyond the State of the Map Asia
Conference.

One of the things the Asia advocates have realized is how there's no
convenient way to get in touch with our widely-dispersed communities across
the continent.

Last year, we tried [0] Slack, and that ended up as the preferred internal
communication and coordination tool for the local organizing committee, but
with little activity for the rest of the Asian members.

This year,  we found growing traction in our Telegram [1] channel, but it
is the nature of Instant Messaging to be more ephemeral, and this very
nature discourages threaded discussion topics we've been having in spurts.
They are still great for chit-chat and small-talk though, to foster
camaraderie among members. It also doesn't have the ability to archive or
conveniently refer back to older exchanges.

A mailing list appears to be the most viable medium -  publicly accessible,
platform agnostic, and low bandwidth choice for this.

Please join us if you are keen to know more about the various efforts in
the community,  interested in growing with us in the continent, or to
network with fellow Asian communities.

Cheers,
Erwin  (@GOwin, OpenStreetMap)

[0]: https://sotmasia.slack.com