[Talk-at] [OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - key=Cycleworth

Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 13 20:22:25 UTC 2009

No I mean 0 compared to other ways/streets in the neighborhood, or
better said other ways used to get from A to B. In some cities (many
germans here, so take hanover) there are so many cycleways and
cycleroutes that looking at the map you would not know at all which one
is the best. So classify the best ones as +2, the very best few ways as
+3, average cycleroutes as 1 but put primaries and secondaries as -2 or
-1. In other cities there is no such offer, so primaries or secondaries
could get 0.

I think overtime people will look around how other ways are mapped and
it will level in for the region. 0 should be the average way, whatever
it is. A way neither unsuited not very well suited to get from one part
of the city to another, or to get from one city to another city.
Basically we should use positive values on ways that would be worthy to
classify as an official cycleroute, negative values on ways where you
know nearby there is a better possibility.

Off course this is subjective, but often objectivity does not get you
along very well. In case we have edit wars of people changing +1 to +2
we have won. Because this means the tag is so widespread people really
start to think about it and if it is +1 or +2 does not matter as much
per se, as long as we get the right choice 90% of the time, and 10% of
the time the second best choice. Currently we happily get 50% of time
the best choice even with careful analysis of the tags!!!!!! (Basically
you can only take tracktype and cycleroutes for good, the rest does not
tell you much).

Bicycle=yes/no/designated is a legal description. A 6lane primary with
tiny cycletrack on each side will be bicycle=yes. Would I want to ride
my bicycle there? Hell NO!