[Talk-at] Road Network Improvements in Austria

grubernd lists at mehrzweckraum.com
Sun Mar 7 16:39:28 UTC 2021

On 04.03.21 10:34, Murad Vardzelyan via Talk-at wrote:
> We are going to start improving the road network in the Austria. Project
> details can be found here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activites/Bolt
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activites/Bolt>.
> We would like to get familiar with local mapping guidelines if there are
> any.
>
> Please, also, let me know if you have preferred contact
> channelsĀ otherĀ than this talk-list.

I agree with the others, this mailing list is a good place to talk to a
lot of people and an easy way to tap into years of local experience.

 From both mapping and using OSM data for navigation on- and offroad,
this is my estimate on general data quality and density:

The bigger cities are done and aside from some statistically
insignificant exceptions can only be improved by work on the ground.

The large transport network is pretty much done, sometimes even more up
to date than the aerials - please be aware of that. Looking at the
history of details should give you an idea what has been improved.

The country side is so and so.

The biggest gaps are probably in very rural areas with thousands of
kilometres of "track" missing between fields and in the forests. Putting
them on the maps helps a lot, just don't trust any source for names
unless locally verified. It's a minefield. Classifying their quality,
surface etc can be done but is rather challenging, too.

Best of luck and perseverance,
grubernd