[Talk-at] Road Network Improvements in Austria

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Sun Mar 7 20:50:43 UTC 2021

On 04.03.21 10:34, Murad Vardzelyan via Talk-at wrote:
> We are going to start improving the road network in the Austria.

How can you assume that you can improve it in the first place? Did you even
have a look at what is already mapped? Austria is not some third-world
country that lacks computers or skilled people. We have not been sitting
still for 14 years, waiting for foreigners to paint the map. We have already
mapped almost everything you can dream of, and we have been using all the
technologies that are available to you, and probably some more.

> Project details can be found here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activites/Bolt.

So as to those details:

1) Adding missing roads:
You will hardly find any roads in Austria that have not yet been mapped,
except some short service roads and some forest tracks that are hidden by trees.

2) Adjusting road alignment as per imagery and GPS traces:
Mapping roads from GPS traces is how we did it before 2011. Today we use
various aerial images combined with a DEM creted from airborne laserscan.
You can still find roads that were mapped many years ago from inaccurate
aerial images or even GPS only. But you won't come across those ancient
objects easily. You'll have to pan around for a while or search for old data.

3) Validate existing tags like- classification - Residential, Trunk,
Motorway etc and attributes - Bridge, Tunnel, links etc.:
Don't even try! These classifications have been validated and heavily
discussed as long as OSM exists.

4) Cities might be revisited on the basis of new improvements and/or
internal requirements:
What do you mean by "revisit"?

Process:
1-4: See above.
5. Run validation and fix all errors and warnings:
No! No! No! All validators I know have errors (i.e. wrong rules) themselves!
Supposedly "fixing" all warnings is the straight path to damage everything
severely.

> We
> would like to get familiar with local mapping guidelines if there are any.

First of all, you need to abide by the international rule to value the work
of local mappers. Don't change tags without asking the original mapper
(unless he is long gone). Also don't assume your position data (aerial
images, GPS) to be more accurate or more recent than those used by a
previous mapper.

For local guidelines, start on this page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Austria (in particular the "Straßen"
section)

Also, explore the link given by Kevin Kovler, and:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions#Austria
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspeed#Austria

> Please, also, let me know if you have preferred contact channels other than
> this talk-list.

For individual roads, you may contact the mappers of the ways you want to
edit via comments on their respective changesets, or via PM.
Map notes are an option if you want to address a greater audience.

For general talk on your road editing, this mailing list is the best place
to get many opinions quickly.