[talk-au] [OSM-talk] RFC: Tagging and rendering Australian highway numbers

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Fri Aug 10 03:57:09 BST 2007

Just getting back to this,

I would really like to sort out some general Australian specific scheme we can use for tagging now that can potentially be rendered nicely by Cameron, and hopefully eventually on Mapnik and Osmarender.

Every time I tag a road with a reference, I grind my teeth and wonder if I am wasting my time. I have given up tagging most routes because it ends up looking like crap.

We will have to continue to use the 'ref=' tag as it is for anything we want rendered on Mapnik and Osmarender as it currently does.

I propose the following additional tags

ref:au=H1     Highway 1 - (black on white shield)
ref:au=N31    National Highway - (yellow on green shield)
ref:au=M2     Metroad (blue on white hexagon)
ref:au=S151   State Route  (white on blue shield)
ref:au=T5     Tourist Route (white on brown shield)
ref:au=A1     A Roads in states that have them (white on green rectangle?)
ref:au=B2     B Roads in states that have them (white on green rectangle?)
ref:au=C3     C Roads in states that have them (white on green rectangle?)

Cameron, Is this easy for you to parse?

Please, rip this proposal to shreds...What have I missed? Are there state variations we need to cater for (ref:au:vic=C2)?

Cheers,
Brent.