[talk-au] [OSM-talk] RFC: Tagging and rendering Australianhighwaynumbers

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Aug 12 05:43:09 BST 2007

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 07:06:32AM +1000, Brent Easton wrote:

> Is this structure easy for you to parse and render?  No-one seems to
> be complaining, I'd like to stick it up on th Oz tagging page soon.

I like the tag values -but- I'm still not sure about ref:au vs ref
(mainly from an editor support perspective) ... it seems to me that the
fact that the road is in Australia should be quite clear from, well,
the lat/lon.  It also doesn't match what's already been tagged.  It's
tricky, though, because hacking in rendering support that varies by
country is going to be an intrusive change to the renderer.  On the flip
side, there have been occasional mentions on IRC about having rendering
changed per country.

So yeah, I've been staying out of the discussion because the actual tag
values don't matter that much - they'd all need exactly the same kind of
string matching in the renderer, which should be fairly easy to
implement - so long as people are consistent in how it's used.  About my
only comment is that prefixing numeric state routes with something (e.g.
S-40 as in your scheme) is good from an easy implementation perspective,
but bad from a "nothing is tagged like that" perspective.

It's also just occurred to me that if some preprocessing was done in
osm2pgsql (before mapnik got to see the ref tag) you could sort out just
about any tagging scheme you wanted, perhaps including separating tags
by country automatically.

Cameron (chronic indecisive, probably not being very helpful - sorry)