[talk-au] Map errors in regional Victoria

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Aug 14 23:40:34 BST 2007

That is quite possible.  Maps show the area as being Mitchellstown which
as far as I can tell doesn't exist on the ground.  The Blunt Street that
does exist is a strange name given that it is farmland.  Checking the
land channel maps (http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/interactive.jsp)
shows small block subdivisions in the area of the real Blunt Street
which are now totally covered in a single large vine plantation.  The
main area with the fake Blunt Streets doesn't show any subdivisions but
perhaps they were at some point in the past.

Is anybody aware of any out of copyright maps for Victoria?  For the
town I grew up (Tylden in the central highlands) I know my parents have
some old maps that show the original subdivisions in the area from over
100 years ago including all property boundaries.  Tylden itself has
followed that original plan quite closely.