[talk-au] Mapping in Sydney..

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Mon Aug 20 02:48:02 BST 2007

I have revamped the wiki page for Sydney..

I have taken the opportunity to put down what I see as some issues facing
Sydney mapping now..

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Sydney.

1. What are the freeways called?   Do we really want to follow the street
signs, and omit the common names?  Do we really want to copy the other
maps?

2. What is a motorway in Sydney?  There are many sections of road that look
like a freeway.  What sections of road should be drawn as freeways?

3. How to clean up the Sydney CBD rendering, and what to do about the pubs
and other POI's.
The CBD map currently has about 30 pubs on it of the possible 500+ licenced
premises in the Sydney CBD.  If we label everyone of them, the CBD map of
Sydney will be useless to all but the most confirmed methylphiliacs.  Very
soon the problem of places of interest will be the same.  It is good to
track POI's - but there are just too many of them in the CBD to have them
all and render a map with them at any level of detail.

If anyone has an interest, and would like to suggest anything.on the above
topics, please do so..

If there are other issues we need to work on resolving pertinent to Sydney
in particular, please feel free to add them to the page as well.

Ian.