[talk-au] Mapping in Sydney..

Brendan P puck_spam_me at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 11:21:32 BST 2007

The Anzac Bridge section of the western distributor is a great example!  I
hadn't even considered it.  I guess it is a big contender for a 'maxspeed'
tag.  That led me to think (and I'm sure I'm not the first) that renderers
in the future may do wonderful things like changing the appearance and/or
colour of the way depending on the speed.  That way a slow motorway might
look like a primary road or a fast primary road like the Taren Point Road
might look more like a motorway.

Cheers,

Brendanpuck..

>From: Ian Sergeant <isergean at hih.com.au>
>To: "Brendan P" <puck_spam_me at hotmail.com>
>CC: b.easton at uws.edu.au,talk-au at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [talk-au] Mapping in Sydney..
>Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:37:22 +1000
>
>"Brendan P" <puck_spam_me at hotmail.com> wrote on 21/08/2007 08:56:18 PM:
>
> > I must plead guilty for taging the 'freeway going north out of Sydney'
>as
>
> > the F3.  Actually, I recently added to the work of others and did a
>general
> > cleanup of the bit I travelled and didn't give a thought to the tags
>already
> > in place.  I guess in the absence of anything helpful appearing on road
> > signs, the 'osm name' can remain as F3 for now.
>
>It sounds just as reasonable as anything else I can think of.  I have
>updated the wiki to reflect a possible consensus on these freeway names
>now.
>
> > Also a belated thanks for the naming,tagging and shields discussion
> > recently.  Unfortunately, I'm a little behind on my emails but I wanted
> > say that standardising on refs is a great idea.
>
> > I see already that divided roads that aren't necessary motorway or trunk
> > like the Captain Cook bridge approaches, Anzac Parade, Foreshore Road
>etc
>
> > are rendering correctly as two ways (one way each) as Primary or
>Secondary
> > roads.  I think that is in line with the Australia Roads Tagging page
> > (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Australian_Roads_Tagging) and
> > doesn't conflict with the Map Features / Highway Tag usage pages.  So
>unless
> > someone comes up with another way to classify them, I'd just leave it
>for
>
> > now.
>
>Yes, I agree.
>
>I would comment that the Western Distributor/Anzac Bridge is currently
>motorway, but the Captain Cook Bridge/Taren Point Road isn't.  The length
>of road is probably around the same.  The speed limit is greater on the
>Captain Cook (the Anzac is only 60km/h - is this the worlds slowest
>motorway speed limit?).
>
>When the new alphanumeric numbering comes in, the Eastern Distributor
>across the Cahill will all be the M1 Motorway.  However, I really doubt
>that Anzac Bridge, Western Distributor will become the M4 (M40?), but I
>don't know.
>
>But again, I agree with you.  Some standard is better than no standard, and
>I have documented the status-quo on the wiki page, so any discussion can
>take place there, rather than changing roads types in OSM.
>
>I guess they emphasise the three major ways out of the city, if nothing
>else.
>
> > As for pubs, I can't really add much more than what you've covered
>already.
>
>Again, I've updated the wiki page.  I think the message is that for now,
> [...]

Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D29891&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_1000s&_m=EXT