[talk-au] Hi To MikeAus and nearby cachers from a Fellow Hornsby mapper

Mark Brindley mjbrindley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 10:24:36 GMT 2007

<hope this works I had some home email issues>

Hi,

I also started mapping recently and I'm glad to see I'm not the only Hornsby

mapper. I'm in Hornsby Heights.

>I'm currently working on filling in the details and re-aligning roads to
the
>higher-res aerial photos around the excellent work already done in these
>area.

I have found that the imagery (at least in Hornsby) is unfortunately not as
accurate as GPS tracks. For example the street I live on I have over 30 gps
tracks on different days and they all differ by up something like 10-20
meters west of the yahoo Hi-res images. I think the hilly terrain is less
than perfectly catered for in our area.

If you do change a way to match the yahoo any source=survey tags will need
to be deleted or changed as it is no longer correct.

>I've found http://imagery.maps.nsw.gov.au/ a good way to check the
>official name of streets e.g. Lochinvar/Lockinvar. Also allows you to
>differentiate between gazetted roads and private roads e.g. Quarry Road,
>Hornsby - a right-of-way, not a public road.

Watch out for copyright with this. Unlike the Americans our government
retains
copyright in most of its works which OSM doesn't want to get stuck in. I
found
some good Aussie copyright advice stuff here
http://www.nla.gov.au/copiesdirect/help/copyrightmap.html

Happy Mapping,
Mark (aka NilbogAus)