[talk-au] what to do about railway line

Wed Dec 12 12:12:58 GMT 2007

I have done a similar thing in Adelaide with a the tram line running down
King William Road. It renders well in Mapnik and Osmarender (slightly better
in Osmarender where the tram line goes from being in the road to not.)  Link
-
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=-34.933214180869754&lon=138.6059908377002&user=justcameron&zoom=15&layers=0B00F000

When transformed to a Garmin .img file it shows up as a tram line or a
railway or something, and there's no way to tell that there's a road there
just by looking at the map. If the map was made routable maybe it would
allow you to drive along it, but I'm not sure if Garmin's format supports a
way that can have trams, cars, bicycles and pedestrians all at once.

However we need to see that this is a limitation of the garmin renderer (or
maybe the application to transform the data from OSM format to the Garmin
format.) The data shouldn't be adjusted for a separate application.

~Cameron