[talk-au] GPS

spammed at aanet.com.au spammed at aanet.com.au
Mon Jul 23 12:41:47 BST 2007

Hi fellow mappers.
Great to hear there are people out there!
I think I might have a first for you...
Yesterday I deleted the T4A map from my GPSMap76 and loaded up OSM for
Melbourne.
It's great.  When deciding which way to go, just take the route that's
blank on the map.  Can't wait until we can get better than a 120m zoom,
plus decluttering.

Below is my earlier post to the unofficial Melbourne list by way of
introduction.  Some will have seen this already.

Have fun.

Neil.

__________________________
Sounds like the beginnings of something.
Thanks Brett.
I've also started Bendigo on the weekend, including kicking off most of
the Calder to that poin.  I'll finish tracing the rest of that on the
weekend.
Because there are so few of us, I'm trying to use the photo feature in
JOSM to take pictures of side streets (passenger only if driving!).  I'm
entering these on the map as stubs off the main way, so that they will
at least be searchable by name in future.
As I mentioned to Brett, I'm also interested in getting accurate speed
limits on the map, what with all the cameras in Vic.  I'm using a policy
of "don't know: leave it out", otherwise I'm using maxspeed 50, 60, 100,
etc. as a tag.  Currently ignoring time-based school zones.  Any
opinions?
I've got the Merri Ck. bike path, Main Yarra trail and Warburton rail
trail largely complete by mountain bike, and interested in sorting out
some standards for on-road bike lanes, shared footways and other bike
infrastructure.  I'm thinking of contacting Bicycle Victoria on that
one, as they might have an opinion.
My overall goal:
Autorouting on a handheld GPS.
I'm currently running a map called Tracks4Australia on my Garmin, which
is free of charge, but not free and open.  It's currently way ahead of
us, but we're starting to beat it in some city areas.
If anyone has a GPS, please take the dirt road occasionally.  If you
have any redneck friends who are hunters, fishermen or 4WDers (or if you
are one yourself), please lend them your GPS for their next adventure.
We need to reach that group to get a good competition with the rural
VicRoads maps.  I think it will take us a good few years yet.

Anyone got the satellite pictures working in JOSM yet?
What do you call a roundabout?  (See our crude attempt on College
Crescent)