[talk-au] Highway Tagging

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:25:00 BST 2007

Generally speaking, unclassified roads are regular roads that are not
through routes of any kind.  Typically they are residential roads, or
meandering country roads.  Usually, in urban areas, they will have a street
name, but no route number or other kind of administrative classification.

Service roads are those small access roads without a name, that are just for
access to the back of shops, car parks, warehouses, etc.  If it hasn't got a
street name then its probably a service road.  One exception that proves the
rule are the lanes in Sydney.  I would tag these as service roads, not
unclassified, even those they all seem to have names.

>From a rendering perspective, unclassified and service roads are typically
rendered in white and service roads are usually rendered a little bit
narrower than unclassified.

Hope that helps.
80n