[talk-au] Mapping Lakes - Overlapping Ways warning?

Michael Lenser mlenser at spamcop.net
Sat Nov 3 04:38:45 GMT 2007

In my spare time and lacking track files to trace I've been tracing
the Gippsland lakes system from LandSat Data into OpenStreetMaps. Due
to the size and complexity of the lakes I have been doing it in
sections by closing a way across the lake then later continuing from
that node and later closing the loop. This seems to render ok but
Validator plugin 5247 gives Overlapping Way warnings. When I  have
completed a lake should I remove the closing ways and combine it all
into one way that traces the shoreline of the lake system or leave it
in the manageable closed ways and ignore the warning? If I was to join
it all into one way I suspect it would be several hundred kilometers
long.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?mlat=-37.91825930495435&mlon=147.66789706468015&zoom=9

Regards
Mike