[talk-au] Call for mapping presentation for the Community Wireless Miniconf at Linux.conf.au 2008

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 03:10:19 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm calling for presentations around mapping tools and tie
ins with wireless to help wireless community groups grow and
help interact better with the users and new folks in the
community to better understand what is out there.

I'm a believer that mapping helps community wireless groups
help new people understand about what their WLANs and WANs
are.

For example;

Tools help folks understand the status of the network with nagios;
  http://www.air-stream.org.au/blog/ross/nagios-map-overlay

Or just help you understand the scope of the network;
  http://www.air-stream.org.au/access_points

Further information about Linux.Conf.Au 2008;
 http://linux.conf.au/

Further information about the Miniconf;
 http://miniconf.mel8ourne.org/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Wireless

"This post marks the opening of the call for presentations to the
 inagural Community Wireless and Connecting Community in Australia
 miniconf for 2008. The official program for the miniconf is located
 at the miniconf site. I will be keeping folks posted about changes
 on my blog on the Air-Stream site.
   http://www.air-stream.org.au/blog/adhoc

 The miniconf will be held in conjunction with the Linux.conf.au at
 the University of Melbourne (map), thanks to Linux Australia and
 the Mel8ourne LCA team for supporting this amazing opportunity for
 Australia wireless communities to converge."

Here is the list of suggested topics put in the proposal for the Mini-conf;

Proposed topics;

    * Mapping and Documentation: visual culture aspects
    * Australian wireless community groups: social aspects
    * National and International cooperation
    * Wireless connectivity: technical aspects
    * New and interesting uses for wireless: hacker culture
    * General lightning talks: tangental topics
    * Show and tell: oh shineeeey
    * Purpose built wireless distros
    * Purpose built hardware

We are looking for;

    * lightening talks, announcements or projects heads up of 5-10 minutes
    * presentations of 20, 30 or 50 minutes.

Please contact Kim Hawtin if you wound like to present the the Miniconf;
  kim.hawtin @ adelaide.edu.au

regards,

Kim
--