[talk-au] [OSM-talk] bulk loading towns/cities locations

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Wed Nov 21 21:27:04 GMT 2007

On 22/11/2007 at 7:50 AM Paul  wrote:

>Personally as this pretty much only affects the font of the the name
>during the zoom
>layers right its not really a  big issue for these towns as there is
>plenty of room around
>there.
>
>Paul

Yes, That's really what it comes down to. At Zooms 8-11, you only get the Cities and Towns displayed on the map into two different Zoom sizes, so adjust accordingly to get a good coverage of towns without being cluttered. Don't get too hung up on the words.

Most of what we call 'Towns', I am making Villages so that they do not appear on the low zoom display. We only want the key towns and cities to display at this level to allow a user to get their bearings, without the towns names overwriting each other.

For instance, the current zoom 8-11 in the Hunter valley is a mess, so I have changed all Towns to Villages except for Kurri Kurri (town) and Cessnock (City). Maitland (City) should be there as well.

Cheers,
Brent.
Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer