[talk-au] Sourcing street names form existing maps

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Sat Nov 24 12:18:43 GMT 2007

I also have found errors in google maps data, and similar errors in Live
Local maps, suggesting they have licensed the same source data.  I think
that maps published directly by municipal authorities are very likely to
be correct though.  Block & section maps, for example, are probably the
reference used when municipal authorities put up street signs.  I also
find it hard to imagine an easter egg appearing in a block and section
map.  The tricky thing is that local governments seem to usually feel
obliged to put in scary rights statements on their online mapping
systems that provide the easiest access to things like block & section
maps.  Note that those rights are additional to copyright as well.

On the legalities and policy, OSM people have said often enough that
they want to take a conservative stance, on the basis that even baseless
legal action would be enough to threaten the project.  There have also
been encouragements posted to refer such questions to osm-legal, so you
might get better answers there.  The point that facts can't be
copyrighted has certainly been made quite a few times.  Some
jurisdictions have a kind of "database" copyright too.  The Wikipedia
article on copyright is pretty good and runs through a lot of these
subjects.

The upshot, for me, is that in principle I only get street name data
from signs, and in practice I haven't put many street names in at all!

cheers
Andrew.