[talk-au] Sourcing street names form existing maps

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Nov 25 05:00:37 GMT 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Andrew Loughhead wrote:
>  I think
> that maps published directly by municipal authorities are very likely to
> be correct though.  Block & section maps, for example, are probably the
> reference used when municipal authorities put up street signs.  I also
> find it hard to imagine an easter egg appearing in a block and section
> map.  The tricky thing is that local governments seem to usually feel
> obliged to put in scary rights statements on their online mapping
> systems that provide the easiest access to things like block & section
> maps.  Note that those rights are additional to copyright as well.

Knowing the local Shire cartographer, I asked about certain mistakes on the
tourist maps and got a nod and a wink which I interpreted as "Easter_eggs".
I am using them as an aide memoire for what I know or find on street signs,
and with 1753km of track recorded in the last three days I regret not having
taken the camera to record street names in some very obscure places :-(