[talk-au] Sourcing street names form existing maps

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Mon Nov 26 21:52:47 GMT 2007

"Matt White" <mattwhite at iinet.com.au> wrote:

> ... you could probably cherry pick statements either way. Copyright for
the
> compilation of data seems to apply to actual lists of data (so
potentially
> the index pages of a street map) ...

A list is a list.  A list of names printed over the streets on a map, is
just as much a list as the black and white index at the beginning.

You can find arguments to support both sides.  This, I guess, is my point.
It is not settled law, and do we want to use OSM as the vehicle to settle
it?  Is it fair to the project to do so?

> I'm also looking at gettings some scans of some out of copyright street
maps
> from the State Library ...

We have done this in NSW/Sydney and Canberra where the state library and
national library have the maps online.  Franc and others have done some
good work naming streets from these sources.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2007-July/000015.html

> I just went back through the copyright council info
> (http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G090.pdf), and found
> this paragraph (which obviously doesn't represent outright legal advice,
but
> is interesting nevertheless...)

I think there is a little doubt that if I look at an address from a map,
and use that information, or copy it that it likely not a copyright
infringement.

Equally, I'm confident that a copying the entirety of a street directory
list of street names, and using it to pupulate a database with street
names, so closely resembles the circumstances in Desktop Marketing that it
would likely be an infringment in Australia.

We have the additional problem that the servers are in the UK, and under
the copyright and database right provisions in UK law, it would be an
infringement within the UK jurisdiction.

I think we should get permission, or leave it alone.

"Jim Croft" <jim.croft at gmail.com>  wrote:

> if you have open in front of you two street directories, and on the
screen Google Maps or similar,
> and they all offer the same name for the same street, you have just used
multiple sources to find
> and confirm a fact.

But if you do this to populate the OSM database, you have breached the
terms of use of Google Maps, and likely infringed the copyright of the
street directory.  The same way that I can look up a telephone number in
the phone book without fear of prosecution, but Desktop Marketing is an
insolvent shell of a company now for employing people in a philipines to do
the same thing 100,000 times over..

Ian.