[talk-au] Street or St

Glen glen_openstreetmap_org at pringles.net
Wed Nov 28 10:48:48 GMT 2007

I personally prefer the abbreviation, especially when creating maps.
This is related to less visual clutter on the map (and don't get me
started on the extra clutter from rendering roads with two lines
representing both sides of the road). But I can also see the sense
in using the full name. Given that computers are good at converting
text automatically, it probably makes sense to use the full spelling
which has an unambiguous conversion to the abbreviated form.

It's worth taking a look at the following brief thoughts on the wiki
(doesn't appear to be a consensus or strong guideline even):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:Getting_Involved#Naming_Conventions

Glen