[talk-au] How are we going to do trams?

Neil Penman ianaf4you at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 02:34:34 BST 2007

I couldn't find any comparable situations in Karlsruhe. Although I didn't look too hard.  They seem to, quite sensibly, keep their trams separate from other road users.  All the examples I found were on dedicated ways tagged as light rail.  Can anyone find a specific good example?

I believe that someone is looking at adding relationships between ways to the map model.  This may be useful for identifying a tram route that crosses many other ways.

Regards

Another Neil (Neil Penman)

Alastair Knox <alastair.knox at gmail.com> wrote: Neil,
 an example that may help is Karlsruhe, Germany. This small city has a tram system similar to Melbourne's and is also home to a very good school of cartography.

 http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.005482529225446&lon=8.404521196837205&zoom=12&layers=B0F

Alastair.

On 04/09/07,  spammed at aanet.com.au <spammed at aanet.com.au> wrote: Hi Melbournians (and Adelaidians and Bendigonians!)
Trams are one of Melbourne's best assets, but not much is shown on the
map yet.
Are there any good examples of European cities with trams?

We have a few things to consider:
- Trams in the middle of normal, undivided roads (eg. Nicholson St. No.
96)
- Trams on their own routes (eg. past the zoo..?)
- Trams with their own track in a median strip
- Route number labelling
- Stop labelling and numbering

How would all this show up on the slippy map?
Reckon we'd get any help from Yarra Trams if we asked?  Would we want
to?

Neil.