[talk-au] [OSM-talk] city accuracy

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Mon Sep 17 01:20:08 BST 2007

"Franc Carter" <franc.carter at gmail.com> wrote on 17/09/2007 10:09:34 AM:

> I agree the city is reasonably complete, there are several small
> (tiny) lanes missing,
> especially around the eastern side.

Some of these are very hard to get right from Yahoo Imagery.  I just added
all
the Phillip Lane stuff around the back of Phillip St, and Farrar Place on
Young Street.

These were previously drawn as through ways, when there are bollards and
various one way arrangements.

> It's the accuracy that seems to be a bit out in
> some places, i.e streets not being parallel and such. So 'something'
> is out because the traces are bad it's difficult to decide which are the
good ones
> and hence fix it become a consistent accure whole.

> I was thinking of getting some more accurate points from GPS averaging
and then
> working from them and the Yahoo Imagery.

It can't hurt..  There are parts of the city where GPS traces are never
going to work.

> If you have some accurate points, I think it would be great to put
> them in to OSM
> and label them in some way.

It is a shame that the GPX upload only seems to remember track points and
not waypoints.

I have labelled all the ways derived from GPS point averaging as
source=survey.

Are there any really accurate locations that you can find on the Yahoo
Imagery?  I could get good references for those and put them on the Sydney
Wiki page as a base for CBD mapping?

Ian.