[talk-au] Geoscience Australia Administrative Boundary data

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Tue Sep 18 16:50:40 BST 2007

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Brent Easton wrote:
>

>> I have downloaded and had a look at the free National Public and Aboriginal Lands data available from Geoscience Australia and am interested whether we want/can use it. It covers state/territory boundaries, National Parks, Nature Reserves, State Forests, Defence land etc > 40 hectares.
>>
>> Is this something we can/want to use?
>>

> If it's legally usable, I think that'd be great.  However, last I
> looked, all of the GA data was quite restrictively licensed ... the one
> you link to looks okay but I am no lawyer.  Perhaps we could ask GA if
> they mind if we incorporate it into openstreetmap?
>
> I've already added the state boundaries for WA, NT, SA and parts of the
> Qld/NSW/Vic borders to OSM, based on the textual description on the GA
> web site.  The first three are just lines of constant latitude/longitude,
> so are easy :-)  The others are along rivers.  The ACT border is a bit
> trickier.  I'd like to see National Park boundaries in OSM too ...

I think the ACT border is largely based on watershed boundaries, mostly
of the Cotter River, with a few segments which run from hill top to hill
top, and, possibly the old railway location down the south-eastern side,
but I'm not sure about that part. I guess we could derive an
approximation of the border from the SRTM elevation data for the
watershed and hilltop to hilltop portions.  Actually there's a fair
chance that both One-Tree Hill and Mt Coree have trig points on the top,
so a visit and long GPS collect could work nicely to establish that part.

Would clearly be better though to use a definitive source, licensing
permitting.

Andrew.