[talk-au] [OpenStreetMap] blackadder sent you a new message

Michael Lenser mlenser at spamcop.net
Wed Sep 19 10:13:39 BST 2007

Hello Andy (blackadder),
  When I first started adding to the existing M1 at Berwick I used the
Potlatch online editor and several things went wrong. As I created
sections I somehow created a lot of duplicates. Also Sometimes
sections I had just created showed green points (large dots) along
some of the ways which annoyed me so I deleted them. Later when
logging back in these sections were missing.

  Even later with JOSM I seem to have created duplicate segments,
unordered segments, duplicate nodes and the direction arrows were
mostly in the wrong direction and not consistent. I had created ways
that were extremely long making error correction even more difficult.
I eventually installed the Validator plugin but even that didn't make
it easy to fix my errors.

Finally I started deleting the whole 100 km section I had created,
downloading the OSM data for ~10 km length's then validating that and
uploading the corrected data. Closing JOSM, restarting JOSM and
downloading the OSM data as a check which was now (finally) without
errors. Then I would make ways, reorder them and combine some of them,
reorder, validate and when all was good, upload. Move on to the next
section and repeat.

All seems ok now. I think some of my problems were caused by Server
problems I was getting alot of "Error while parsing: An Error
Occurred: 417 Expectation Failed" part way during uploads. I would
push upload again, and again, and again and it might be possible thats
how I created so much duplication?

Regarding tagging,
I tagged the M1 as follows:

   highway=motorway
   name=Princes Hwy
   Lanes=2
   ref=M1
   oneway=yes
   maxspeed=110

At some later stage as I add some of the towns along the way I'll have
to adjust the sections maxspeed.
What designation should I give the M1 highway as it passes through
towns? Is it
highway=highway, trunk, motorway or primary?

Best Regards
Mike.

Quoting abuse at openstreetmap.org: