[talk-au] Roundabout tagging

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Thu Sep 20 03:35:42 BST 2007

Actually,

How do people feel about roundabout tagging?

I would like the Oz recommendation to be:

Use highway=mini_roundabout for all roundabouts except the largest variety involving dual carriage ways and/or having a sizeable (?) piece of land in the middle.

As opposed to the current guidelines of:

Use junction=roundabout for anything larger than a circle of white paint on the ground.

I find that creating junction=roundabout for most roundabouts to be difficult, time-consuming and pretty much completely pointless. The mini-roundabouts are rendered nicely. I think the junction=roundabout is really intended for those huge UK style roundabouts that are 100 metres accross.

Personally, I now do all roundabouts as mini-roundabouts unless I really have to, and actively remove the full-size roundabouts on my old mapping as I review it. Obviously, anyone is free to handle this as they please, but I think a note in the Australian guidelines for newbies saying that mini-roundabouts are OK would be good.

Thoughts?
Brent.