[talk-au] Roundabout tagging

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:46:54 BST 2007

I'm afraid I take the opposite view ;-)

I use the existing recommendations, although I seem to have missed the
discussion around the junction tag. I agree that making them tends is more
annoying than ideal - but I don't think that's a good reason to not do them.

Just to throw the initial thought process out there, let's think about what a
'wayed roundabout' gives us that a noded-one doesn't - any ideas other
than size ?

cheers

On 9/20/07, Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> Actually,
>
> How do people feel about roundabout tagging?
>
> I would like the Oz recommendation to be:
>
> Use highway=mini_roundabout for all roundabouts except the largest variety involving dual carriage ways and/or having a sizeable (?) piece of land in the middle.
>
> As opposed to the current guidelines of:
>
> Use junction=roundabout for anything larger than a circle of white paint on the ground.
>
> I find that creating junction=roundabout for most roundabouts to be difficult, time-consuming and pretty much completely pointless. The mini-roundabouts are rendered nicely. I think the junction=roundabout is really intended for those huge UK style roundabouts that are 100 metres accross.
>
> Personally, I now do all roundabouts as mini-roundabouts unless I really have to, and actively remove the full-size roundabouts on my old mapping as I review it. Obviously, anyone is free to handle this as they please, but I think a note in the Australian guidelines for newbies saying that mini-roundabouts are OK would be good.
>
> Thoughts?
> Brent.

> On 20/09/2007 at 9:31 AM Lachlan Rogers  wrote:
>
> >One thing that I thought of was trams (like in Melbourne).  There was
> >some email discussion on this list a little while ago, and it would be
> >good to publish a standard scheme for Australian trams.
> >
> >- Lachlan
> >
> >On 9/19/07, Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> Let's keep it all in the one place at the moment, unless it gets out of
> >hand.
> >>
> >> What other stuff would we like to standardize on?
> >>
> >> Brent.

Franc