[talk-au] Roundabout tagging

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Thu Sep 20 04:02:20 BST 2007

b.easton at uws.edu.au wrote:

> Use highway=mini_roundabout for all roundabouts except the largest
> variety involving dual carriage ways and/or having a sizeable (?)
> piece of land in the middle.
>
> As opposed to the current guidelines of:
>
> Use junction=roundabout for anything larger than a circle of white
> paint on the ground.

A mini_roundabout in the UK can be a white painted circle but a
mini_roundabout in Australia is likely to be a round concrete mound around
3-5m in diameter generally within the road width.

Anything more than that, and I tend to try and map the roundabout if I have
a complete trace of the roundabout. However, I can understand why its
sometimes easier to just use mini_roundabout as a first pass.

"Franc Carter" <franc.carter at gmail.com>  wrote:

> Just to throw the initial thought process out there, let's think about
what a
> 'wayed roundabout' gives us that a noded-one doesn't - any ideas other
> than size ?

I'm a card carrying memeber of the "Just map what is on the ground, and let
the user/renderer/router worry about everything else" faction.

But for example, while cycling, I would cycle with the kids through a
mini_roundabout on a quiet road, even if it was a major road juntion.  If
there was a larger roundabout crossing a major road, I would avoid it, as I
would have to cycle with the traffic around the roundabout.

Ian.
P.S. In my experience the JOSM "arrange nodes in a circle" generates nice
roundabouts, usually.