[talk-au] Roundabout tagging

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Thu Sep 20 06:10:44 BST 2007

>Yep - pretty rare, I only know of one. It's pretty useless to my mind
>as there's no
>sign and it's really hard to see at night
>
>On 9/20/07, Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
>> Franc Carter wrote:
>>
>> > I'm afraid I take the opposite view ;-)
>>
>> Me too :-)
>>
>> I recently went and converted a whole bunch of mini-roundabouts in my
>> suburb to roundabouts (which I'd added originally because I
>> misunderstood what a mini-roundabout is - from what I can tell they're a
>> UK think which either doesn't exist or is at least very rare in
>> Australia).

Yes, exactly. It is a useless tag for us. Which is why we should co-opt the mini_roundabout tag and use it for Australian style 'mini_roundabout's.

The idea of trying to get highway=midi_roundabout or highway=au:mini_roundabout added and rendered is just too painful to contemplate, and is not needed.

We are using the rest of the highway tags completely differently to the UK way, because our roads are different. Let's use mini_roundabout differently also because our roundabouts are different.

Surely the idea is to mark that some roundabouts are little (let's say, within the normal width of the road) and some are big?

Brent.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney