[talk-au] Duplicating / Creating Roundabouts?

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Sat Sep 22 07:57:03 BST 2007

hi Michael,

I was thinking myself this afternoon that it would be great to have a
roundabouts plugin, or at least some explicit support for creating good
roundabouts.  I didn't contribute to the recent discussion on
roundabouts versus mini roundabouts, but the I do find roundabouts
fiddly, both in geometry and tagging.  My own level of effort on
roundabouts started out a bit excessive, and I would even create small
separate ways to show the small triangular one way sections on the
joining roads common on many roundabouts.  Nowadays I would only do
these on the most significant roundabouts, and I will probably go back
and undo them from some of my earlier efforts.

Anyway, I would like to be able, say, to click a centre point, a radius
point, and have an appropriate circle created, intersected with any
present ways, and any internal leftovers removed.  If I add additional
ways which come near the roundabout way, I'd like it to be automatically
intersected (Potlatch pretty much does this already).

I also like your idea of copying, in some way, a roundabout, because I
see lots of cases where a few roundabouts in near proximity have exactly
the same size.

Currently roundabouts need to be drawn with quite a few points if they
are to be at all "round".  The Map Features guidelines suggest drawing
medium sized roundabouts with four points, as a diamond, which I often
do, but what is rendered from this is a diamond, in both osmarender and
mapnik.  I haven't tried mini-roundabouts yet, but at least they
apparently render as a round shape!  Perhaps the rendering will improve
in the future.

My contributions to OSM are strictly mapping though, so I will just be
quietly waiting to see if roundabouts become an itch for a developer.

cheers
Andrew.