[talk-au] [Spam?] gps averaging with tomtom-910

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Wed Sep 26 11:46:09 BST 2007

Franc Carter wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to do some 'gps averaging' with NMEAlogger running on a tomtom-910,
> however all the trackpoints were the same - does anyone know what the story
> is with this ?

Not specifically, but a couple of suggestions: Firstly, I am sure the
OSM list some time ago had information that TomTom recorded data would
be snapped to the nearest location on its street data.  It sounds like
you were not on a street, so presumably that wasn't the problem, unless
there was a point feature that the TomTom knows about nearby?  Secondly,
I wonder whether the GPS chipset or the rest of the TomTom has a noise
reducing feature turned on?  A motionless receiver should appear to do a
small random walk, but that might be confusing or annoying for some
users, so maybe TomTom have written in something so that when its
probably motionless, it just keeps reporting the same position.

Googling for TomTom data logger turned up "Event_Logger"
(http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/), maybe its worth trying.

cheers
Andrew.