[talk-au] [Spam?] gps averaging with tomtom-910

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:26:32 BST 2007

I'm reasonably confident that NMEAlogger is not locking to the streets as I have
run some tests on this to make sure I didn't have copyright issues with the logs
from it.

I had previously tried Event_Logger and gone for EventLogger in preference,
but you are right - it would be a good idea to see if it has the same behaviour.

cheers

On 9/26/07, Andrew Loughhead <andrew at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> Franc Carter wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I tried to do some 'gps averaging' with NMEAlogger running on a tomtom-910,
> > however all the trackpoints were the same - does anyone know what the story
> > is with this ?
> >
> Not specifically, but a couple of suggestions: Firstly, I am sure the
> OSM list some time ago had information that TomTom recorded data would
> be snapped to the nearest location on its street data.  It sounds like
> you were not on a street, so presumably that wasn't the problem, unless
> there was a point feature that the TomTom knows about nearby?  Secondly,
> I wonder whether the GPS chipset or the rest of the TomTom has a noise
> reducing feature turned on?  A motionless receiver should appear to do a
> small random walk, but that might be confusing or annoying for some
> users, so maybe TomTom have written in something so that when its
> probably motionless, it just keeps reporting the same position.
>
> Googling for TomTom data logger turned up "Event_Logger"
> (http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/), maybe its worth trying.
>
> cheers
> Andrew.

Franc