[talk-au] Osmarender

James Andrewartha trs80 at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 27 10:53:18 BST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Brent Easton wrote:

> >Yep - I has the same problem with Sydney harbour and rivers - and took
> >the same route and converted it to coastline. I'm not 100% comfortable
> >that this was the correct thing to do - where does 'coast' stop and
> >'river' begin.
>
> Looks good in Osmarender, does not show in Mapnik yet. Ultimately Mapnik
> will show coastlines correctly, so I generally go this route.
>
> The only way to get it right in both Osmarender and Mapnik now is to
> make the river an area natural=water. I did this for the lower
> Shoalhaven and can't be bothered to go back and change it.

In Perth we've gone for natural=water for anything inside the heads.
There's also some waterway=river rough mapping the upper reaches, I'll
probably convert this to natural=water for the wider parts.

Keeping to the water theme, do people have any comments on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Jetties_and_piers
and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Breakwater ?

James Andrewartha