[talk-au] source tags

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Sat Apr 19 11:57:56 BST 2008

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:48:47 +1000
Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Ben Kelley wrote:
> > Yes I feel similarly. If I add a street where my only source is
> > imagery I tend not to put a source tag, but if it is from a GPS
> > trace I put survey so that others can see the survey work has been
> > done for that street.
>
> I started the opposite way
> if its not from GPS I mark it source= landsat etc
>
> so we need some consistency
>
> choice A (best) mark source for all
> choice B  default=GPS survey
> choice C default=aerial imagery
>
> opinions
> and I'll mark up the wiki

Once I realised what the source tag was about I started going with
option A. Since I guess the ideal of OSM is that everything could one
day be source=(GPS) survey it helps to know which ways have alreayd
achieved this and which haven't. If nothing is marked then it becomes
unclear (especially to someone approaching it for the first time to add
data) exactly where things come from. It also means if you are new and
looking at other peoples work to base your work on you won't know about
the source tag if there's nothing there. I always assume if there's no
source tag and no obvious GPS track in OSM that it's attached to that
it's source is the best imagery avaliable for the area (although
there's some cases in Adelaide that appear come from landsat even though
yahoo is avaliable, perhaps because they were added so long ago that
yahoo didn't exist...)
So a vote for A from me ;)

--

=b