[talk-au] landuse=* and highway=* intersections

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Mon Aug 4 00:30:15 BST 2008

Darrin Smith <beldin at beldin.org wrote:

> Recently chatting with another OSM'r the issue of whether it was
> appropriate that landuse=* tags and highway=* tags should be completely
> seperate or if they can share common nodes in some places.

There are arguments both sides of this, and it has been discussed a length
on the main list on many occasions.

The one side argument is that the landuse starts immediately next to the
highway, and there is no small gap there.  If the highway "moves", the
landuse should move too, and it can look neater when rendered.

The other side of the argument is that highway is only a virtual
reprsentation (i.e only linear), and overlapping ways can be confusing and
hard to edit.  When you move a node associated with a way, you may not want
any side-effects of moving other ways/areas.

Personally, I think most landuse is actually separated from the
representation of the highway - therefore a gap is the better
representation of what is on the ground, and I have always mapped this way.

Short answer, consider the opposing views, join your favourite camp, and
map away..

Ian.