[talk-au] place=?

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Tue Dec 2 13:02:49 GMT 2008

Hi

Another locally flavoured tagging question.

I entered some towns recently. I got stuck wondering whether they were
actually towns, villages, or hamlets.

I think Australia applies different criteria to determine this designation. If
you follow the guidelines at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place, it
seems to allow a village to have up to 10,00 people! Can you see where this is
going? That may be a small place in more populous countries, but I'd certainly
call it a town.

Further, places like, say, Charleville (3000) or Quilpie (maybe half that) are
definitely considered towns. They are hubs for large areas. One town I wondered
about is Samford near Brisbane. It has 3000 or so people according to
Wikipedia, but it's been called a village. (I think it's actually known as
Samford Village.)

So remoteness seems to count for something.

Any other criteria you can think of?

Is it time there were specific place designation guidelines for Oz places? I
suspect we've been quite inconsistent in their absence.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines

Cheers