[talk-au] place=?

Eric Rose ericr at wamble.net
Tue Dec 2 23:54:20 GMT 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:02:49 am Hugh Barnes wrote:
> Hi
>
> Another locally flavoured tagging question.
>
> I entered some towns recently. I got stuck wondering whether they were
> actually towns, villages, or hamlets.
>
> I think Australia applies different criteria to determine this designation.
> If you follow the guidelines at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place, it seems to allow a village
> to have up to 10,00 people! Can you see where this is going? That may be a
> small place in more populous countries, but I'd certainly call it a town.
>
> Further, places like, say, Charleville (3000) or Quilpie (maybe half that)
> are definitely considered towns. They are hubs for large areas. One town I
> wondered about is Samford near Brisbane. It has 3000 or so people according
> to Wikipedia, but it's been called a village. (I think it's actually known
> as Samford Village.)
>
> So remoteness seems to count for something.
>
> Any other criteria you can think of?
>
> Is it time there were specific place designation guidelines for Oz places?
> I suspect we've been quite inconsistent in their absence.

I have access to the PSMA datasets, and the administrative categories they use
for town points are:
* Urban - Locations that are classified as Major Cities of Australia in the
2001 Australian Standard Geographical Classification Digital Boundaries
* Rural - Locations that are classified as Inner and Outer Regional Australia
in the 2001 Australian Standard Geographical Classification Digital
Boundaries
* Remote - :Locations that are classified as Remote and Very Remote Australia
in the 2001 Australian Standard Geographical Classification Digital
Boundaries

I haven't dug further into the referenced standard, however.

Eric

--
Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience. Our
problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of the