[talk-au] Major road cleanup

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 6 00:05:15 GMT 2008

Recently, for lack of any new GPS traces to work on, I've been wandering
around various parts of the country looking at the state of the major
roads (eg: Western Highway in Vic, Stuart Highway in NT etc.)

A lot of these roads look like they were either traced off Yahoo, or
from a single GPS trace about a year and a half ago. In the time since
then, many more traces have been uploaded, and suddenly there is
substantially better data to work off.

I was just thinking that it might be a good time to revisit some of
these roads and just clean them up a bit. They kind of get ignored once
they are in place (and I don't think the newer users tend to touch the
major roads - I didn't for a while when I started).

So if you are bored, or want some mindless work on OSM, feel free to
re-align some roads...

It's funny - I was just re-aligning a section of the western highway in
potlatch, and flipping between all traces and only my traces for that
road (I've got 3 traces each way). Either there's some widly varying
accuracy on the general traces uploaded, or I always drive in the right
hand lane going from Melbourne -> Ballarat, and in the left hand lane
going from Ballarat -> Melbourne. Given I've got a slow diesel fourby, I
doubt I was driving in hte fast line going up those hills towards Ballarat.

Matt