[talk-au] What gives with roundabouts?

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Wed Dec 10 07:32:40 GMT 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:17:33 +1000
"Stephen Hope" <slhope at gmail.com> wrote:

> At a guess, they wanted to use one of the roads for something that
> would be easier if it was in one piece, rather than split. A
> mini-roundabout is just one node in a way, while a roundabout breaks
> it up.

In the 2 cases in point (I've found so far) the roads remained in
multiple parts, so I don't think this is the explanation.

> By the way, it's not being lazy if it really is a mini-roundabout.  If
> the island fits inside the road width, then it's a mini roundabout.

Not be the global definition and quite frankly in my opinion the
definition given on this mailing list (and only on here that I can see)
smacks of lazyness. I know of at least 5 roundabouts in Adelaide alone
that DO qualify for the global OSM definition of a mini-roundabout so I
don't see why we should be copping out and changing a definition here
just out of sheer lazyness.

> On the other hand I've seen them used for turning circles - that
> really annoys me.  Except for one street I know which actually has a
> mini-roundabout at the end of the street.

So the traffic approaching from the main stem of the road has to give
way to traffic already in the 'roundabout' does it? I've yet to see a
situation like this but I'm sure there's one somewhere ;)

> It's really odd, as it
> makes getting into one of the driveways a real pain.

If it really is a roundabout with normal roundabout clearances around
the centre Island then I imagine it probably is :)

--

=b