[talk-au] *Round*abouts

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Thu Dec 11 19:53:44 GMT 2008

Starting again about *round*abouts

The renderers accept two methods of drawing a *round*about.

There is a quick and easy method ideal for where two simple ways cross.
Somebody has decided that this is called a mini-roundabout, and honestly I
don't think that this item actually exists in Australian road design.

There is another method which needs someone to draw in four points
*square*about if we are lucky; *quad*about otherwise; and can extend to
*dodeca*about if someone insists on creation of a beautiful form.
With a way indicating one way drawn around the nodes, we can have a roundabout
junction for the renderer.
The renderers note a collection of straight lines and we don't get anything
*round* at all.

JOSM makes awful circles if you request it to make a circle. Merkaator is a
bit better but still makes deformed shapes.

So the maligned mini-roundabout is the only one where current renderers make a
circle on the map.