[talk-au] What gives with roundabouts?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Dec 17 20:02:28 GMT 2008

Sean <4ey0llz02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> program or device will still display the way as a roundabout that the
> user will still understand what it is even if the roundabout tag is removed.

The user may understand, but the device won't if there are no tags.

However I see below that I've been misunderstanding what you've been
saying, and you're not saying to get rid of the tags.

> As you said "It's relatively easy" to do then,
> could you please supply the code or tell them how to do it.  I'm sure it
> would be greatly appreciated.

When I say "relatively easy" I mean relative to the significant effort
required to build the entire conversion process. I don't mean "trivial".

> I'm not advocating the removal of any tags.  I'm advocating that all
> roundabouts no matter on size be drawn as a way and be tagged as
> "juction=roundabout".

Okay, this makes a lot of sense. Sorry but I missed this part of your
argument before. Tagging the roundabout in some way is very important to
preserve meaning, not just appearance.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au