[talk-au] mapping data on the NSW north coast, and a request for road designation clarification

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Fri Feb 1 09:28:32 GMT 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:04:49 +1100
Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> > I guess there's a case for that, but I'd reserve primary for marked
> > highways like the Bruxner and Pacific, rather than Summerland Way and Orara
> > Way. In the latter case, people travelling between Grafton and Coffs
> > Harbour will take the Pacific Highway as their primary/preferred route
> > unless they're sightseeing or have a more local interest, in which case
> > Orara Way would be a secondary choice.
>
> yes Pacific Highway will be trunk, but other Highways will be primary and a
> route like Summerland Way, on the 2004 Driver Reviver and Rest Area Map, has
> a blue shield, so its a secondary road.

I suggest trunk are as here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Highway_%28Australia%29

ie if it has a National Route number then it's trunk (or motorway as
applicable)

Anything else that is a highway is a primary, this includes things like
Gunbarrel Highway.  They are after all highways, the major roads
between places, surface may not be sealed but it is the "primary" route
between places.

Routes like the Summerland Way tend to be secondary but you can have a
secondary route through a town/city as well it does not have to be one
road.

> What do all the mappers want to see with the NSW highway designations?

It's not just NSW this should be adopted nationally so that we don't end up with the situation as it currently is with different states using different systems.

Use the ref tag to designate the road number so it can be referenced to the national/state numbering systems.

Regards
Ross
info _NOSPAM_ at 4x4falcon dot com