[talk-au] coastline

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue Feb 5 00:20:51 GMT 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Brent Easton wrote:
> Hi Liz,

> On 5/02/2008 at 10:25 AM Liz  wrote:
> >I'm never going to be a coastline expert living hundreds of km inland,
> >but when looking at osm map in navit-cvs australia's coastline is mostly
> >missing.
>
> That is because that version of the map is not using the user entered
> coastline data.
>
> >Where I've looked at it in josm - the Coorong and near Adelaide - the
> >coastline is marked and is a completely untagged way.
>
> On the contrary, that coastline is tagged as natural=coastline. I'm not
> sure what you are looking at, but the Australian coast is 99.99% complete
> and tagged as natural=coastline. Someone has 'improved' the coastline in
> Queensland and introduced some errors in the last few days, but these have
> been mostly cleanup up now.
>
> >Is someone actively working on this?
>
> Yes, several of us have spent a lot of time getting the coastline finished.
>
> Have a look at
>
> http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/coastlines.html
>
> which is a daily process that checks the status of all coastline data in
> OSM.
>
> Regards,
> Brent.

When I download in josm
-35.9204 		138.8385
-35.53.34		139.3960

and select the coastline i get a 'way' with no features - just 200 nodes
this is 'new' josm about 17th jan.

so i don't get the tags at all.

if the tags are really there and navit cvs needs attention, then I'll address
that problem - I'm just trying to sort out whether it is map data or
interpretation which is the problem.
this is australia in navit-cvs version
http://billiau.net/~liz/snapshot9.png
the old version did have coastline but it was purple for unknown