[talk-au] Tagging questions

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Mon Feb 11 00:21:33 GMT 2008

"Russell Lang" <gsview at ghostgum.com.au> wrote:

> Should full street types be used (Street, Road) or the abbreviations (St,
> Rd).  If the latter, then there needs to be a list of standard
> abbreviations.  I've seen Grove on signs as both Gr and Gv.  The latter
is
> less likely to be confused with Cr for Crescent.  If long names are used,
> it appears the names do not appear at smaller scales.

Use the full names.  The render can abbreviate if required.

> How do you tag an old name (e.g. Current name Glen Waverley South
Primary,
> old name still on some signs is Brentwood Primary)?

old_name=

> How do you tag an ambiguous name.  One end of way is marked Michael St,
> the other says Michael Av.  What is the accepted way to obtain the
correct
> name, avoiding copyright maps?

Is there a real example?  Ask someone who lives in it?

Use the name you think is best, and make notes on the way.

> How do you tag a Tollway as opposed to a Freeway?  The name can be tagged
> differently, but can we change the colour so that it is clear on the
> rendered map?

toll=yes

The renderer source code is available, so you can change it to render how
you wish.  If you want to change the rendering on the main
www.openstreetmap.org page, then you have some more convincing to do.

> How do you print out a map showing the streets without a name tag?  At
> useful resolutions you get most street names rendered, but some small
> court names (the courts are small, the names are long) are not rendered
> even though they have been tagged.

maplint view will show residential ways without a name tag.

> Can you keep a street which is shaped like a T as a single way?  Potlatch
> won't join them. Driftwood Drive, Glen Waverley, VIC.

No.  A single street must often be multiple ways.

> Is there a way to get a render with single lines for streets with the
name
> beside, similar to NatMap, VicMap or Melway?

Cameron patched mapnik to do this I think?  Cameron?

Ian.