[talk-au] Tagging questions

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 11 01:33:17 GMT 2008

>Well you can't copy from Melway.

No, I see no problem with reviewing the existing documentation from a number of different sources, finding a consensus, then publishing that consensus on OSM.

I believe it has been established the street names are Established Facts and can not be copyrighted. Large scale reproduction of parts of a street directory is clearly a breach of copyright, especially copying the street layouts. But comparing what is written on an individual street sign against what is recorded in a directory and then deciding which is most correct cannot possibly be seen as a breach of copyright. In this case, you have seen the street signs with your own eyes, so you are 100% entitled to enter either of them into OSM!

I use street directories from time to time to refresh my memory of the street names of areas I have visited in the past...

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton at uws.edu.au