[talk-au] Tagging questions

Russell Lang gsview at ghostgum.com.au
Mon Feb 11 02:47:24 GMT 2008

Mike wrote:
>  "How do you tag an ambiguous name.  One end of way is marked Michael St,
> the other says Michael Av.  What is the accepted way to obtain the correct
> name, avoiding copyright maps?"
> Hi Russell, in NSW you can access the official database of road names via
> the Land & Property Information website. If you can't look up this
> database
> to verify the official name of a street without infringing copyright, then
> the database is pretty pointless.

In Victoria, you can search for a road name in a particular suburb using
Their copyright message is a little all encompasing:
    Copyright of materials present on the Victorian Government Web Site
    resides with the State of Victoria. Apart from fair dealing for the
    purposes of private study, research, criticism or review, as permitted
    under copyright legislation, no part may be reproduced or reused for
    any commercial purposes whatsoever.
I'm treating a single place name as not subject to copyright.

There is a Michael Avenue, but no Michael Street in that suburb.

More information about the Talk-au mailing list