[talk-au] Tagging questions

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Mon Feb 11 08:01:28 GMT 2008

Brent Easton wrote:
>> Well you can't copy from Melway.
>>

> No, I see no problem with reviewing the existing documentation from a number of different sources, finding a consensus, then publishing that consensus on OSM.

Here comes the fun... I reckon the multi source approach should also be
valid for street name sourcing - that way you aren't relying on a single
companies *substantial effort* required to originally compile the map
(in Australia, and apparently only Australia, we have to wear the
consequences of the DtMS v Telstra judgement which in essence says that
factual items can be copyrighted in a substantial effort was required to
collate and present them). It's a really strange area - in short nobody
I have found will give me any actual legal advice regarding this - it's
just deemed too unknown since that court case

Matt