[talk-au] Tagging questions

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:27:42 GMT 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 7:01 PM, Matt White <mattwhite at iinet.com.au> wrote:
> (in Australia, and apparently only Australia, we have to wear the
> consequences of the DtMS v Telstra judgement which in essence says that
> factual items can be copyrighted in a substantial effort was required to
> collate and present them).

If this interpretation is true it really is a most bizarre thing, the
net effect of which would be to take minor individual facts out of the
public domain because a major compilation is copyright, which is quite
absurd.  I have spent my entire working career compiling and
documenting facts from copyrighted works - in fact the Government pays
me and dozens, probably hundreds, of colleagues in every State and
Territory to do it.  Published directories, maps, gazetteers and
general literature are just some of the tools we use.   And we have
been doing it for a quarter of a millennium.   Don't see us stopping
any time soon, just as long as there remain things to be recorded in
time and space...

jim

Jim Croft
jim.croft at gmail.com