[talk-au] How Do I?

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 06:55:58 GMT 2008


There are arguments about this from time to time.  Generally, the
abutters tags seem to be falling out of favour, though some people
still like them.

The general consensus seems to be to mark up an area and use landuse=
tags.  The good part about these is they render as area shading,
rather than shading along the edge of a line. And you can have
different things along different parts of a street, or on opposite
sides, etc.

The bad part is you need to know how big the area is to use them - if
you are driving along a street, how do you know how far back the
houses go, and what is behind them? More houses, a farm, industry?

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:landuse for more on
the landuse tag


On 12/02/2008, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> Despite a study of the wiki and a start on the mailing list archives....
> How do I
> mark land residential?  ? abutter=residential
> mark land orchard / vineyard / general agricultural??
> mark land industrial / commercial ...
> I've found proposals but i'm not sure what is in use now
> and i'd like to start marking land use on my bit of map
> Liz
> I started reading the archives and thought that there was a lot of good
> material there which really needs to go on the wiki
> I need a sickie with a good internet connection ;-)
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> Talk-au at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/talk-au

More information about the Talk-au mailing list