[talk-au] Yahoo imagery in JOSM

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sat Feb 16 21:48:53 GMT 2008

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Franc Carter wrote:
> You can adjust the overlay using the green square with four arrows that is
> in the
> left hand side set of buttons
>
> cheers
>
> On Feb 16, 2008 6:24 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> > I just thought I'd like to try this.
> > Near me it is close to 8km out and the resolution is no improvement on
> > Landsat.
> > Landsat is actually more recent because it is "drought" and Yahoo is
> > "green"
> > which means pre-drought.
> >
> > Are there any ways to adjust the overlay in JOSM?
> > Liz

thanks for that
A restart and a new download was much better.
I have compared Landsat and yahoo imagery in two different regions; regional
NSW and Sydney area.

Landsat in regional NSW - better quality, no compression artefact and
artificially coloured (false colour infra-red??)
Landsat at Narrabeen Lake - worse quality, no compression artefact. Can detect
sand, surf and water on the beach. Golf Course poorly defined but can be
distinguished.

Yahoo same areas
Regional NSW - severe compression artefact. Water area poorly defined and
heavily pixellated. golf course cannot be identified from the photograph.
Narrabeen Lake - No compression artefact noted at all. Beach area shows wet
sand, dry sand, surf and water. golf course easily seen and identified.

Both images in regional NSW are approximately the same age, judging from known
new subdivisions, industrial expansion. They are not from the same time as
the farm areas are differently coloured (earlier comments).

Landsat covers the entire world over a seven year period and the current image
is available for money. The previous image is given away.
(I'm not this smart, I got this from my son)

--
So what is the best way to protect yourself against the ILOVEYOU virus?
Install

   -- Geoff Johnson