[talk-au] josm "out of memory" error

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Feb 19 00:00:27 GMT 2008

platform linux 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 (amd64)

java java version "1.5.0_13"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_13-b05, mixed mode)

JOSM Last Changed Rev: 524
Last Changed Date: 2008-01-17 22:51:56 +0100 (Thu, 17 Jan 2008)

I had 1G of RAM in this machine, and when I try to load too much into JOSM I
get an out of memory error. There is 2G of swap active.
JOSM makes no use of the swap and does not give the OS time to swap out any
thing else.

I just put in another 1G of RAM. JOSM is using up to 1G and not touching the
second 1G at all, then giving an out-of-memory error. This happens with swap
use at zero if the machine has not been running long.

Can anyone give me some pointers?
Java upgrade?
JOSM problem?

Liz